Linux Real-Time Essentials Using PREEMPT_RT
Acquire the skills to develop and deploy real-time, efficient Linux-based platforms and applications by utilizing the Wind River® PREEMPT_RT Linux kernel.
The Linux Real-Time Essentials Using PREEMPT_RT course provides engineers with a fast, cost-effective way to acquire the skills to develop and deploy real-time, efficient Linux-based platforms and applications by utilizing the Wind River® PREEMPT_RT Linux kernel. Attendees get an in-depth look at Linux internals, which affect realtime characteristics of the system, and will learn how to configure the real-time kernel and file system, develop real-time applications, and use various tools to evaluate the real-time characteristics.
After this course, participants will be able to perform the following:
- Develop and deploy real-time kernels and user space applications
- Analyze real-time characteristics and find causes for non-realtime behavior
- Understand Linux internals related to real-time
- Understand the PREEMPT_RT kernel configuration option
- Linux kernel versions 2.6 and newer
- Yocto Project Linux
- Wind River Linux 9
Who Should Attend
- Kernel developers who want to understand Linux kernel internals, which affect system real-time behavior, or evaluate and optimize real-time characteristics of the system platform
- Application developers who want to develop efficient real-time applications and evaluate real-time characteristics of the developed application code
- This one-day, expert-led add-on session consists of lectures and lab sessions.
- Attendees use the Wind River Linux development environment combined with actual hardware targets to gain experience with the topics presented.
- Participants receive individual guidance from an expert engineer who has extensive experience with Wind River technologies.
- This course is only available as an add-on session to augment other Wind River courses. It is not available as a standalone course.
- Real-time basics
- Latency and jitter
- Kernel preemption
Processes and Synchronization
- Linux processes and threads
- Atomic operators
- Memory fence
- CPU variables
- Read/write locks
- Read-copy update
Scheduling and Priorities
- O(N) scheduler
- CFS scheduler
- Scheduling policies
- RT scheduling
- Process priorities
Internals of the PREEMPT_RT Option
- Preemption modes
- The PREEMPT_RT patch
- Priority inversion and inheritance
- IRQ threads
- IRQ thread development guidelines
Developing Linux Real-Time Applications
- Real-time application development
- Memory management
- Thread management
- Scheduling management
- Application development guidelines
Linux Real-Time Tools
- Latency measurement
- Overall system measurement
- System real-time fine-tuning
- System benchmarking
- System tracing
- LAB: Configuring and Building a Wind River Linux Preemptable Kernel
- LAB: Optimizing Memory Access Performance in an Application
- LAB: Evaluating Wind River Linux Kernels with ftrace
- LAB: Evaluating a Real-time System with cyclictest
- LAB: Tuning the Platform for Real-Time Performance
- LAB: Manipulating Scheduling Policies and Priorities
- Basic knowledge about the Linux operating system and Linux application or platform development
Interested in our e-Learning? Subscribe with the button below!Subscribe Now
Live Training events coming soon!
Interested in private training?
Get expert training when and how you want it
Wind River Web Seminars
View free, interactive web seminars on the latest embedded software trends and technologies from Wind River®
Access the support network that provides a wide variety of useful information