VxWorks Cert 6.x for IEC 61508
Learn to develop safety-critical applications.
The Wind River® VxWorks® Cert 6.x for IEC 61508 training workshop provides engineers with a fast, cost-effective way to learn to develop safety-critical applications. The course covers VxWorks Cert 6.6 as well as the Wind River Workbench development suite that has been tailored for certified application development and debugging. Typical use cases in certified application development and debugging are explored.
After this course, participants will be able to perform the following:
- Describe the IEC 61508 certification standard
- Accelerate the development and configuration of IEC 61508–compliant safety critical systems using Wind River Workbench
- Develop, debug, build, and test safety critical applications with the VxWorks Cert 6.6 real-time operating system (RTOS).
- Wind River VxWorks Cert Platform 6.6.4
- Wind River SBC750GX target board or Wind River Simics
Who Should Attend
- Application developers creating IEC 61508 standards-based safety critical applications
- Engineers who need to develop applications using the features of the VxWorks Cert 6.6 RTOS
- This two-day expert-led course consists of lectures and lab sessions.
- Attendees use VxWorks Cert Platform 6.6 to gain experience with the topics presented in a development environment.
- Participants examine and exercise simulated network topologies in hands-on labs.
- Participants receive individual guidance from an expert engineer who has extensive experience with Wind River technologies.
The IEC 61508 Standard
- Introduction to IEC 61508
- Background and definitions
- IEC 61508 and software safety
- IEC 61508 processes and objectives
- Software verification
VxWorks Cert 6.6
- Getting started with VxWorks Cert 6.6
- Rationale for VxWorks/Cert libraries
- VxWorks Cert OS design and programming considerations
- Certifiable API subset
- LAB: Getting started
Debugging VxWorks Cert 6.6
- Supported Workbench tools
- Source code browsing
- VxWorks Cert 6.6 debug configurations
- Use cases overview
- LAB, Use Case 1: “Development” build—noncertified kernel mode
VxWorks Cert File Systems
- VxWorks Cert file systems overview
- ROM file system configuration and build
- Highly reliable file system (HRFS) rationale
- Capabilities and configuration of HRFS
- LAB, Use Case 2: Certified kernel with WDB mode
- LAB, Use Case 3: “Deployed” build—certified kernel mode (not available with Wind River Simics or through live remote delivery)
Real-Time Processes (RTPs)
- Overview of the RTP model
- Memory partitioning and the MMU
- RTP execution and life cycle
- Debugging RTPs
- Design considerations
- LAB: Real-time processes
Certifiable Network Stack
- Design guidelines
- Stack configuration
- LAB: “I/O application”—networked application
C++ in the VxWorks Cert 6 Environment
- Cert API subset
- Memory allocation
- Configuration and build
Migrating to VxWorks Cert
- Application API differences
- BSP migration overview
- User-level familiarity with the host operating system on which Wind River VxWorks Cert Platform 6.6 will be installed
- One year C or C++ programming
- Basic understanding of operating systems and debugging techniques
- Basic understanding of IEC 61508 concepts
Interested in our e-Learning? Subscribe with the button below!Subscribe Now
Live Training events coming soon!
Interested in private training?
Get expert training when and how you want it
Wind River Web Seminars
View free, interactive web seminars on the latest embedded software trends and technologies from Wind River®
Access the support network that provides a wide variety of useful information